For Potato Cream Base
2 cups Russet potatoes, peeled, medium dice
5 cups soy milk (or plant-based creamer), unsweetened, plain
2 bay leaves
1½ teaspoons salt
¼ cup vegan butter
1 cup yellow onion, medium diced
1½ tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon black pepper, freshly ground
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup celery, medium dice
½ teaspoon celery seed
⅓ cup vegan bacon, diced finely
½ cup sherry cooking wine
2½ cups Russet potatoes, peeled, medium dice
½ cup vegetable stock
3 pouches Good Catch® Naked in Water Plant-Based Tuna
Oyster crackers, for serving
Vegan butter, for serving (optional)
- repare potato cream by placing diced Russet potatoes, soy milk, bay leaves and salt in a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Simmer mixture until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally so the potatoes do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- In the meantime, under low heat, in another heavy-bottomed pot, melt the vegan butter. This will be the main pot for the soup. Make sure the capacity of the pot is at least 2½ quarts.
- Add diced onions, garlic, salt and black pepper, cover and sweat onions until they become translucent. Add celery and celery seed and sweat celery until it becomes translucent.
- Add vegan bacon and cook for a minute.
- Deglaze pan with sherry wine and allow to reduce by half and to evaporate the alcohol.
- Add diced potatoes and vegetable stock and stir well. Cover pot and under low heat gently cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Once the potatoes in the potato cream are ready, remove the bay leaves and place the entire mixture into a high-speed blender and carefully blend on high until you achieve a homogenous mixture.
- Pour this cream into the main pot over the onion, celery and potato mixture and stir well.
- Simmer gently until the diced potatoes are tender.
- Add the Good Catch Plant-Based Tuna and stir well to incorporate.
- Simmer for a minute or two just to make sure everything is heated well.
- Serve in warm bowls with oyster crackers and a small pat of vegan butter, if desired.