Serves 2 as main course
For Pickled Veggies
2 cups carrots, thin ribbons
½ cup jalapeno pepper, thin discs
½ cup yellow onion, thin slices
¼ cup garlic, thin slivers
1 cup rice wine vinegar
½ cup water, filtered
¾ cup cane sugar
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon coriander seed, whole
For the Ginger Mayo
1 cup plant-based mayo
1½ tablespoons ginger powder
2 teaspoons agave nectar
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
For the Bahn Mi Sandwich
1 box, 8 each Good Catch® Thai Fish Cakes Patties
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pieces French baguette, cut into 6”
4 thin planks English cucumber, cut into 6”
½ cup cilantro, fresh leaves
12 each basil leaves, medium-sized
- For the pickled veggies, these can be made a day ahead of time. Prepare the pickling liquid by placing the last 5 the ingredients in a thick-bottomed pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, using a sharp peeler, make the carrot ribbons by simply making long peels lengthwise on one side. Place the ribbons in a bowl with the thinly sliced jalapeño, onion and garlic.
- Pour the hot pickling liquid over the vegetables and leave out at room temperature to cool. The leftover portion can be kept in the pickling liquid in the fridge for up to three weeks. When ready to use, make sure you drain the veggies very well.
- For the ginger mayo, place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until everything is completely incorporated. Keep cold until needed.
- For the fish patties, remove the Good Catch® Thai Fish Cakes from the freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
- Take 4 thawed Good Catch® Thai Fish Cakes and form into an oblong patty approximately 6” long x 2” wide x ¾” tall. Repeat with the remaining 4 cakes.
- Slice the baguette and toast the cut sides in a toaster oven until golden, about 5 minutes.
- In a cast-iron pan or non-stick ceramic skillet, sauté the patties in olive oil over medium heat. After 3 minutes, flip and cook the opposite side for another 3-4 minutes until golden in color.
- To build the Bahn Mi, slather each side of the baguette with 2 teaspoons of the ginger mayo. On the bottom slice of each bread, place the 6 basil leaves, followed by the cucumber planks.
- Next, place the sautéed patty on top of the cucumber and then about ⅓ cup of the picked veggies, followed by ¼ cup of cilantro leaves and topped off the bread.
- Serve one Bahn Mi sandwich per person.