Created for and inspired by The Oceanic Preservation Society
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together tomato paste, lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, chili powder and salt until a thick dressing/marinade is formed.
- Fold in poblano peppers, celery, red onion and plant-based tuna. Set aside.
- In a sauce pot, start the pickling liquid by combining cumin seeds, dried onion, salt, vinegar, sugar, water and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place shredded carrots in a heat-safe mixing bowl and pour the hot pickling liquid over the carrots, then leave out at room temperature until the carrots and the liquid have cooled completely. Pour cooled mixture into a tightly sealed jar and refrigerate until sandwich assembly (see TIP).
- Combine all Cilantro Crema ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Drain the Pickled Carrots.
- Slice the bread. (Optional: lightly butter each side of the bread and toast, buttered side down, in a cast-iron pan until golden.)
- Spread a thin layer of the Cilantro Crema on each side of the bread.
- Top the bottom bun with ¾ cup Oaxacan Tuna Salad, ¼ cup drained Pickled Carrots, a few slices of avocado and a small handful of lettuce, then cover with top bun.
Pickled carrots can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for up to three weeks.