Serves 4 as main dish
For Fennel Broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 tablespoons fennel seed
1 (2 cups) large leek, cleaned and chopped
1 (2 cups) fennel bulb, cleaned and chopped
6 whole garlic cloves
4 whole thyme sprigs
1 cup dry sherry
8 cups vegetable stock or water
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup leek, cleaned and diced
¼ teaspoon chile flakes
3 red Russet potatoes, large cubed (1-inch cubes)
2 cup fennel bulb, cleaned and large cubed
3 pouches Good Catch® Naked in Water Plant-Based Tuna
1½ cups cherry tomatoes
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Olive oil for garnishing
Whole grain bread and plant-based butter, or garlic bread, for serving
- For the broth, in a shallow soup pot, heat the oil on medium-high heat, then add the celery seed, fennel seed, leek, fennel, garlic and thyme. Sauté until the vegetables begin to brown and stick.
- Deglaze the pan with sherry and stir well for about 2-3 minutes, removing any coloration from the bottom of the pot.
- Pour in the vegetable stock (or water) and simmer for 12-15 minutes until liquid has reduced about ⅓.
- Strain the broth into a new bowl and discard the vegetables and aromatics. Set broth aside.
- For the chowder, in same pot used for the stock, heat olive oil on medium-high heat, add leek, chile flakes and potatoes. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add fennel, Good Catch Plant-Based Tuna and tomatoes. Stir for 1 minute. Add broth.
- Turn heat down to low and bring to simmer for 10-12 minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Before serving, add a drizzle of olive oil over each bowl of soup. Serve with lightly toasted whole grain bread and butter or garlic bread.